Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down a tree

Hybrid View

Cutting down a tree

We have a very large pine tree in the back yard but it seems to be dying and being dry and brittle seems like it is getting to a dangerous stage. We have had quite a few wind storms and I am afraid it is going to fall over on to our house or the neighbors. We can't really afford to have a professional tree removal done but what would be the easiest way to fell it ourselves?

Talking That's what old pine trees are good for...

Quote Originally Posted by downhome View Post
    We have a very large pine tree in the back yard but it seems to be dying and being dry and brittle seems like it is getting to a dangerous stage. We have had quite a few wind storms and I am afraid it is going to fall over on to our house or the neighbors. We can't really afford to have a professional tree removal done but what would be the easiest way to fell it ourselves?
    Some tree people will quote a "drop and chop", where they basically get the tree on the gound and you deal with it from there. This might be within your buget.
    Renting a lift is not going to be cheap. I recently rented a tow behind that would get you to 35' I think it was 300 but I got it for the weekend. If you do rent a lift, consider recouperating some of the cost by trimming any neighbors trees for a fee, or doing some other work around your house that will possibly increase it's value like painting or roof work or trimming other trees. Maybe you have more than one pine tree that may pose a threat in the future. You are also going to get some lumber out of this. A big pine tree is not worth hauling to the mill but there are portable saw mills, guys that will come out and cut it up for you. You could cut it up with a chainsaw and get some big pieces you could use for something......ornamental maybe?
    You should mention how tall or what kind of pine tree you have and any other challenges involved. Is there a clear space where the tree can be droped by someone on the ground? If so, how wide is this angle? Are there any powerlines or other lines near it? You might be able to get the power company to take it down if it threatens thier equipment in any way.
    Do you have any experience with trees or chainsaws?
    If you live in the southeast, you might want to consider that we are now aproaching the peak of hurricane season. Having a dead pine tree in your yard could add up to law suit really fast. It's really not as likely to fall over after it drops the needles but the limbs will start to fall off. It's going to come down sooner or later either by you or by mayhem, so why not get control, even if it sets you back a ways financially?

I have a neighbor who recently had a similar situation and he bartered with the tree cutting company - they cut it down and got to keep most of the wood. A lot of such companies sell firewood in the winter so you might be able to find someone to work out a deal with you. With the cost of a cord of wood being what it is these days, it would work out for them.

Well I think you can handle it. Do you have a wedge? You would put a small chop in the tree and then the wedge, you put that in the tree so it falls the way you want it to fall. You can also use a winch so you can pull the tree the way you want it to drop.

Not to be a smart-aleck, but if you're asking online how to cut a tall pine tree that's close to houses, I think you're in over your head. Colbe makes it sound easy, but there's a little more to it than sticking a wedge in the side. I've felled lots of trees and even when you're doing things right, the unexpected can happen. The ones I've done that were close to a house received a lot of scrutiny from the ground and planning. So, unless I'm mistaken on your experience level with a chainsaw, I'd leave it to the pros.

Robertbrown has some good ideas about reducing the cost with a little sweat equity.

Of course, you could always wait for a windstorm or lightning strike and let the insurance company deal with it after it's fallen on one of your houses. Just had one of our trees get hit by lightning a month ago and it fell on our neighbor's house. Not really a big deal, bent gutter, little roof damage. Couple of hours with a chainsaw and it was all gone. But..... if I had to cut it down BEFORE the storm, I'm sure my neighbor wouldn't let me use his house as a landing zone (LOL) and it would have been a bit more complicated.

My brother and I took down lots of trees just to clear enough space to build his house, then later had to take down a big old oak that was dying and he was afraid it might fall on his house. I'm not sure what the strength was, but he had about a half inch nylon rope that was about 150' long, so when there was any doubt at all about where a tree would fall we used that rope tied from high in the tree to the trailer hitch on my old 3/4 ton pickup. We'd have some tension on the rope and then the instant the tree started to fall, the one driving the pickup would take off and that would definitely pull it exactly where we wanted it. Of course, we were very sure the rope was long enough that the truck would be well clear when the tree fell.

I really was not looking to chop it down whole. There really isn't enough room for that I don't think. I was thinking if maybe there was a way to chop it down from the top in smaller pieces. It is probably a good 40 feet tall so I just really was looking for what kind of equipment we might need to get to the top of the tree. I know that chopping down a tree that large is not easy. I might look into the bartering idea though, I had not thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by downhome View Post
    I really was not looking to cop it down whole. There really isn't enough room for that I don't think. I was thinking if maybe there was a way to chop it down from the top in smaller pieces. It is probably a good 40 feet tall so I just really was looking for what kind of equipment we might need to get to the top of the tree. I know that chopping down a tree that large is not easy. I might look into the bartering idea though, I had not thought of that.
    See attached. That's how I did one that was fairly close to my house. Equipment: TALL ladder, ropes, handsaw. Leaning out on a ladder with the tree swaying and holding a chainsaw at an arms length distance is not my idea of fun, so I did some of the topping with a handsaw. Takes a little longer, but I felt much safer.

40 ft? Depending on circumstances, you'll need at least a 24 ft ladder to get high enough to top it and control the descent of the upper trunk. Though pine trees are easier than leaf-bearing because of the way the branches grow, IMO.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks, Jml the pictures help a lot. I am a visual learner. I agree I wouldn't want to be sitting that high up leaning over a ladder with a chainsaw either. I would probably lose a limb-no pun intended!

40 feet is not big by tree standards but a tree that size can do a lot of damage to people and property. Is there a chance you can find a freind or neighbor who is experienced with this sort of thing to help or advise you? For example, if the branches are more heavy on one side it will want to fall that way, etc. There are lots of little tricks.

Please be careful, you can get killed doing this and while I'm not sure it sort of sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with tree felling.