Thread: Feeding round bails of hay to goats

Feeding round bails of hay to goats

How do you feed round bails of hay to goats?

As far as I know, the best thing to do would be to cover the bale so they can't get to it and then pitchfork it to them as needed. If you give them free access, they will likely create a lot of waste. That's what I think, but someone else here might have a better idea for you.

Tabitha is right. Goats love to climb on things and a round bale is a thing. Once up there they do what goats do, poop and pee. They won't eat the hay after that.
    We think we have found the solution. Can't take full credit for the idea because we stole it and built our own. It gets the bale up off the ground so the goats can't get on top of it. When feeding on the ground the waste, per bale, was probably 40%, now it is about 10%. With the cost of hay these days, that is a significant savings.
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so take a look and I'll shut up.
    AbO 2012

Definitely a smart way of doing it, Welding And your goats are adorable! Having it down to 10% waste is terrific as I know of some people who go about this all the wrong way and wind up defeating the purpose of the round bale.

Untill I get my husband to weld me this feeder I bought a couple of heavy gage big square mesh The kind you put in concrete only galvinized and wrapped the bale. They are higher than bale and prevent the goats from getting on top or collapsing on thier head your idea is better but I am no welder so patience will prevail but in the mean time...