Thread: Pinecones

Pinecones

We have collected a bunch of pinecones and tree bark. What can we make with them? My daughter wants to make something and all I can think of is the peanut butter pinecones for the birds.

Maybe there's a way to make nature scenes if the bark is sturdy enough to put the pine cones on. Pine cone people is another idea. You could make pine cone door hangers with ribbon and pine cones.

My mom, the late 70s, made wreaths with all kinds of pinecones. I'd say they had about a 16" diameter. She'd put the cones in the oven first, on a low temperature. I don't know why (I was super little---not even in school). Then, she'd select the ones she wanted and wire them onto her frame. She had buckeyes in them, too. They were full and large. At the end she put a bow on it. She made several for Christmas gifts that year.

My mom also made wreaths from them. I think she just glued the leaves together in an oval and glued the pine cones on them. It was a fun activity for us kids to get to play with glue and my sisters loved to add glitter to it.

The wreaths are a great idea. How about getting a styrofoam wreath and wiring the pinecones and spreading them out around the wreath. Then you can add silk fall leaves, fall colored flowers, or Christmas themed flowers and leaves. Whatever theme you want, pinecones are perfect for fall and winter decorating.

I actually have some pinecones that my husband and I collected on a really beautiful hike during our first fall together. Years later, I still put them out every fall in a fall themed basket. Your daughter is probably looking for something more crafty than just displaying them like that, but keeping a few to put out every year might be a sweet idea.

Please check ouit the following site Pine Cone Crafts - Fun Recycling Craft Challenges It has all kinds of great ideas about what to do with pinecones as craft ideas. My 12-year old daughter, who collects pinecones, has got a lot of great ideas from this site.

Christmas Wreaths

Is it really that hard to make Christmas wreaths ? I need about eight of them this year for my house,etc. and the local shop where I usualy get them charges anywhere from $14 - $44 for them. It adds up quick. Can anyone give me any instructions on how to make them yourself ?