Thread: Roosters

Roosters

My friend says roosters only crow in the mornings, but I'm sure I've heard them crow at night. Who is right, or are there some breeds that crow any time and other that only crow in the mornings? I want to get some chickens and a couple of roosters. I'm not sure I'd like them crowing at night.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont
    Roosters crow all day long, it's how they keep in touch with one another. That's how they communicate. Though you do hear an occasional rooster crow at night, chickens are not active in the dark, so you hear very little crowing once it gets dark. Chickens, like most birds, have very poor night vision, so they roost in the dark, and stay pretty quiet so that predators can't find them. Since they can't see well in the dark, they're pretty helpless, then.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Roosters seldom crow at night, unless their sleep is disturbed by something. As Rich2 said, they do crow anytime of day especially in the mornings. That could be your alarm clock.

What triggers the roosters to crow in the first place? I visited a friend who lived in a farm and the roosters are crowing even before the sun is up.

Roosters crow for all kinds of reasons: because there's some type of disturbance or perceived threat, or to "talk" to other roosters, or to keep their flock together.

Roosters crow when they want to.Attachment 2606
    Steward of the Forest