Thread: Garbage disposal

Garbage disposal

Ok I admit I am not very handy around the house so I need some help. I went to use the garbage disposal last night and when I turned it on nothing happened. It seems to be stuck but will not turn. I am not sure how to diagnose it anyone's help or advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by summer View Post
    Ok I admit I am not very handy around the house so I need some help. I went to use the garbage disposal last night and when I turned it on nothing happened. It seems to be stuck but will not turn. I am not sure how to diagnose it anyone's help or advice would be appreciated.
    Be sure and turn it off and DO NOT STICK YOUR HAND DOWN THE DRAIN. Check the breaker first and try to determine if there is power to the unit. The get under the sink and look for a reset switch. If some one lock it up it should have a switch that cuts the circuit when the amp draw becomes to large.
    Someone may have put something in there that locked it up.

Robert, isn't there also a special tool you can use to insert into the disposal and turn it by hand if it's jammed? I remember that there used to be such, but I haven't needed one in well over 30 years.

I am betting it is the reset Every one I ever had had a reset button on the unit somplace.

Lookee here.

Garbage Disposal Troubleshooting - Fixing a Garbage Disposer

Thank you all for your help and advice. I made sure the switch was off before messing with it and sure enough it was the reset button. I never knew one existed on a garbage disposal! So I learned something new today!