Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omg - they're fixing my road!

Omg - they're fixing my road!

I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. I have lived at the end of a one mile private mud road for two and a half years. My house is not accessible without 4 wheel drive. Talk about a pain in the butt. We have tried and tried to no avail to get someone in the parish to help us and everyone in an official position has said that there's nothing they can do because it's a private road.

Well, lo and behold, I woke up this morning to a track hoe out there working on the road. I don't know if one of my neighbors came into some money or who finally took steps to do something about this, but I am so excited. My friends might actually start visiting me again

great! hope your taxes don't go up.....

Congratulations!!!!!! Will it be a gravel road, blacktop or paved? We just got finishing replacing the torn off wheel well in the car after the last rain on our gravel/mud rutted road. (We also average 4 flats a year) We bought our non-fourwheel drive car a bit too soon - 15 years after we bought the land..... I told the tax appraiser last year I expect a lower evaluation because of the condition the county keeps this 100 year old road that goes through to the next county.

It seems a lot of county roads are going to pot lately. I suspect it has to do with a shortage of money. Last spring the county tore out a 1 mile stretch of curvy road that starts about 1/2 mile south of town. They still haven't rebuilt it and I understand the reason is lack of manpower in the budget. What used to be a paved and reasonably decent road is now dirt and detoured.

Well, I spoke too soon. Our road is a private road - has nothing to do with the parish. That's why they refused to help us. But I spoke too soon because it turns out one of my neighbors had some dirt brought in to patch one of the many vitually impassable spots. That's great, but the rest of the road is still a nightmare. Oh, well. It's better than nothing.

what part of La. you in Carrie?..i'm in SW LA...just bought 5 acres on a gravel road...don't know if i'm gonna like living on a gravel road but i guess it could be worst huh?

I'm in Acadiana in Vermillion Parish. I would give anything for gravel at this point, lol. I don't think my road has had gravel on it for at least five years and now it is just a big mud pit. Whenever I drive down the thing I feel like I'm back in high school when we used to voluntarily go off roading. My daughter thinks it's hilarious. Go figure. Where'd you buy your property?

I grew up on dirt roads and it wasn't a private road either. It was and still is in need of mending! It has always been awful to drive especially in the spring and winter. They don't come through and grate it like they should and leave it till last to plow.

in jeff davis parish....how long is your road? have you looked into getting some crushed asphalt or crushed concrete?

That is great. I hope your situation lasts though! They came and repaired our road but what ever they did was a very bad solution. Two years later the road was worse than it was when they started.