Thread: Trailers

Trailers

I know you have to have a trailer licensed but do you have to have insurance on it too? I'm talking about the ones that you pull behind your truck and load things on.

As you said, in most states, you need to register your trailer and have a license plate. As for insurance, the liability insurance on the vehicle towing the trailer also covers the trailer. So you are not required to have any other insurance on the trailer. However, you may or may not want to insure the trailer against fire, theft, collision damage, etc. Probably most of us do not.

We don't have insurance on our trailers, but we probably should. Now that I've seen this thread, I might actually look into it next week.

Your auto insurance would cover it while it's being towed, and your homeowners insurance would cover it while it's parked. You could also tax a tax deduction for any losses not covered.

My trailers are in Texas. each state is different. My little car hauler is registered for 4000 pounds because at 4001 pounds, you have to get it inspected every year. My car hauler is paid for and has insurance (liability) when attached to my tow vehicle. My travel trailer is 6500 pounds and has tags and a safety inspection annually. It has a rider on my auto policy for comprehensive and collision because it is bank financed. Again, the liability is covered under the tow vehicle umbrella while connected. My insurance carrier has been good to share with me what the state requires.

My little car hauler is registered for 4000 pounds because at 4001 pounds, you have to get it inspected every year.
    I think if you read Sec. 548.052 of the Transportation Code, you'll find it's 4,501 pounds instead of 4,001 in Texas.

@Jamespostal- You seem to know your facts about trailers. I am needing on to haul hay and other stuff with. Do you have a brand that you prefer?

Trailer brands tend to vary greatly depending on what part of the country you live in.. They tend to corner local markets and big names for the most part do not sell everywhere.

So might help if we knew where you lived how big a trailer you lookin for how much weight do you intend to put on it what are you going to pull it with? Hay and other stuff? Ok 100 bales or 10 bales? Other stuff? Trash to the dump or Caterpillar backhoe? Yoo gonna pullit with a minvan or a Ford F450?

I do not know any thing about 'trailersplus' most of the utility trailers I saw on that sight were pretty small without brakes.

The big seller around here is BIG TEX trailers. These guys plus a lot of others sell them Big Tex Trailer Manufacturing - TrailersDirectOnline is your online source for Cargo Trailers, Dump Trailers, Gooseneck trailers, equipment, flatbed utility Trailers, Enclosed Horse and Livestock trailers from CM, Wells Cargo and BigTex Trailers at T

I usually buy from a local dealer. There are quite a few in this area and most tractor dealers also sell trailers.

Here is one of mine. Pulled it 300 miles last weekend

Thanks for the information Jimbrown. I am going to be using my 3/4 ton GMC to pull it. I have a four horse head to head Merhow that I use for the horses. I am wanting something smaller (20-30 bales of hay) that I can pull with my Toureg. I am trying to save some miles on the truck, and a little gas to.