Thread: Racoons in the Attic

Racoons in the Attic

I have atleast one racoon in my attic and maybe more. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? Is there a spray or poison you can put out or maybe even something that repels them.

My advice to you is... Move. Lol. No I am kidding but I do have some experience with how crazy it can be to get rid of raccoons. You can use traps but you will only catch one that way because they learn. If there are babies then you need to catch one of them and use them as bait for the mother.

Probably the best way to get a racoon out of your attic is actually to trap it rather than try to spray or poison it. You can get special traps that will do this. After they are caught, you would called the local animal control officer who would take it away.

I saw an episode on "Billy the Exterminator" and it scared me. Those little critters are mean and then to make it worse I saw an episode on a show I think was called "Bad Dog". This guy found a baby racoon and raised it, he allowed it to come in an out of the house. Then one day he comes home and the racoon was eating through the wall in his kitchen from the attic. All I could think was this is all I need. I think I am going up with my 22 and try to get rid of them that way.

Also keep in mind that you usually have to call animal control about this. They will lend you traps but in some places it is illegal to then move that trap. Instead they are supposed to come and pick it up.

You could try live traps but in the end you need to find out how they are getting in in order to stop it from happening in the future. I would probably call in an exterminator because they will be able to determine the point of entry for you and seal it up. We had a problem with bats and this is what we did. They put live traps in and sealed up the opening.

There are some exterminators who will not deal with certain animals. So if you call one and they say no then you just need to keep calling others until you find someone who is willing to do it.