Thread: Filter?

Filter?

I hate my water. It taste like chemicals and I don't like to buy water. So I have been debating if a water filter system is best for us. Is it really worth the cost?

I am not very sure if a water filter will remove liquid chemicals like chlorine from the water. It will remove some sand and other solid particles though. You should ask the dealers.

There definitely are water filtration systems out there that will remove just about anything nasty from your water, but the best place to start is to get your water tested by an independent lab. That way you'll know exactly what you need to filter out.

You can buy something as simple as a jug with a filter cartridge that will take out the chlorine. This is what usually makes tap water taste awful. This method is not very expensive and the filtered water sits in a jug in your fridge.

I agree, get your water tested first. If you are on city water, most likely you do have chlorine, but you will probably have hardness also. Carbon will remove chlorine, but will not remove the ammonia that some cities are using these days. It is a combination of chlorine and ammonia called chlorimines. You may also have fluoride. Now you would have three deadly poisons in your water. There is a media that will remove all three, it just costs more.

I would have the water test look for chlorine, ammonia, fluoride, hardness and PH. Those are the most important ones in most city waters. PH will hopefully be in the 7.2 to 7.6 range.

I can`t afford a filtration system. I have been thinking about buying a few of the jugs they sell. Our fridge has a water and ice system but I don`t know if it filters the water. My mom gave it to us so I don`t have the book that came with it.

If it does filter the water and it's a hand me down, you might want to check to see if there is a filter and remove it. If it's old, it's worse than not having a filter.

@iluvthecountry- I agree with Speedbump that no filter is bettter than an worn out one. Hope this helps.