Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones at School

Cell Phones at School

How do you all feel about the rules with cell phones at school? I felt safer with my children carrying their phones. There are times they may need me and the teachers don't let them go to the office or they could let me know if something is happening so I could keep them safe. I truly hate that school will not allow phones. I understand if they are playing on them they can't learn but I know mine know better than to do that. My girls have been taught it is rude to talk or text when someone is speaking.

Cell Phones in school....REALLY?

Should not happen. The only way a child should be allowed to carry a cel phone is with written permission of the Principal. If special circumstances arise such as family emergencies then see the head guy and get his permission.
    Otherwise, you are here to get the best education you can, so get busy, no time for chit chat. As a student you have an important job to do and you cannot be disturbed.
    Our schools in this country are in abbhorrant condition, as a voter, taxpayer and a citizen I'm ashamed. I have no children in this school system. I am beginning to question why I should be paying for such a disgrace.
    You asked

Due to all the things that are happening in schools around the country, I understand how you would feel less worried if your kid had a phone. However, it is more the distraction that the phone causes than the benefits. One kid may be responsible, but the others are not. If they make an exception for one, the other ones are going to act out complaining about the unfairness of the situation.

I'm for them! I don't think kids should be using them during school (classes) though. I see nothing wrong with a child using them to call their parents if they need something at lunch or after school. They should be turned off until these times during the day.

In theory, kids having cell phones for emergencies sounds good. But most kids don't follow the rules. When I was in school we had a pay phone for use at lunch or after school hours. Period. Kids gets tempted and it is too enticing to sneak a quick peek in between classes or run to the bathroom during class to text a friend.

I thought about seeing if my kids could take a two way walkie talkie with them that would have enough range to reach me but the school told me they would not even allow that.

Because of Columbine, I think they should be allowed, but not for usage on campus except in emergencies. That means, if a principal or teacher sees a kid with a phone in their hand, they are punished. But, the phone should be in their purse or pocket or backpack for emergency situations. Otherwise, no phones.

The reason that cell phones are not allowed in classes(most allow them on campus by the way) are because not only are they a distraction during class time, students have also used them to cheat on homework and tests. I think they are fine to have as long as they are kept in the locker but really if there was an emergency, the teacher would allow the student to go use the phone in the office, so there really is no need.

I agree that children should be allowed to carry cell phones to school so that they have a way of communicating with parents in case of emergency. The teachers can collect the cell phones during class hours and give them back to the kids after classes are dismissed.

What happened to the teacher monitoring the students? When I was in school, the teacher was always watching and walking up and down the aisles. It's hard to cheat with eyes on you.