Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones at School

When I taught, the kids texted each other constantly. We'd confiscate, the parent would retrieve the phone, and the next day the kid would be texting again.

Kids can use the front office phone if there is an emergency.

No, it's wrong. I'm sorry but here in the UK kids get mugged every day and their phones stolen. Would you want that to happen to your child? On the whole school is a relatively safe environment and children should not need to be in constant contact with their parents.

I would be more apt to put my child in a public school that paddled the kids when they did wrong than in one that didn't. They need to learn to respect authority besides just their parents, too.

Ah, I love this kind of conversations. As for me, I object to the thought of students having phones. It is rude enough for adults to receive a phone while you are in a meeting. If we permit kids to have cellphones with them in school then they will grow up with no respect to the authorities.

We never had them in school back when I was in school so I see no problem not having them now. Children should not be carrying cell phones anyway. If their is a problem they should seek out an teacher or the principle. Saying they need a phone to call mommy and daddy when something happens is not the answer.

I hate the rule that the schools here have about cellphones and I was told that parents have went to the Supreme Court and still couldn't get their child's phone back. The school where my girls go there have been bomb threats and mass suicide threats. I am always worried about them.

There are a lot of points here about cell phones at school. My wife likes for our kids to have them because some of their teachers have been known to not allow them to go to the office and call when they are sick. The discipline thing is definitely important and if they don't pull them out there unless its an emergency there usually isn't a problem.

I don't think kids should have cell phones at all! We never had them when I was growing up and my children will not have them until they are older.

No, children should not be allowed to have cell phones in school. When I was in school, there wasn't no such thing as cell phones, and we got along just fine. Letting a child take a cell phone to school is only inviting trouble. Keep the cell phones out of the kids hands.

I heard that one of the reasons that the schools have placed this rule is because of bomb threats. I mean come on bomb threats? I understand them not having them because they wouldn't pay attention in class or maybe they would cheat but that was ridiculous.