Thread: Rainwater for Drinking

Rainwater for Drinking

Does anyone else besides me collect rainwater for their drinking water ? I have system on the top of my roof that captures it and let's it flow down a spout to a five gallon jug I have. Some of my friends think that this isn't good as with all the pollutants in the air these days rainwater can be pretty contaminated. What do you think ?

I doubt that the polutants in the air matter much but the bird poop on the roof might.

I agree with jimbrown, maybe let it rain for a while and then catch the water. I would filter/clean the water prior to drinking. That being said, there are homes in the South West that catch and use rainwater for all their needs. Have fun and stay safe.....

I have always been interested in capturing rainwater but not for drinking. I think that it would be perfect for the garden and also for things like washing the car and mopping the floor.

I know that rainwater is the purest water there is, except when it gets contaminated with the vessels that had touched it. So be sure that there is no contamination before you drink it.

I would definitely be purifying it before drinking it. I do like the idea of capturing rainwater for the garden and other outside chores though.