Thread: Children's homework

Cool Children's homework

Did you notice that the children are coming home from school with more homework than they can handle? What do you do to help them cope?

My kids go to a charter school and get lots of homework. However, they have taught us at the school on how to help them. We make sure that they have a quiet place for them to study. It is mainly a matter of helping them keep focus on the task at hand rather than concentrating on how hard it seems.

Last year my kids would have 5 or 6 pages of homework a night. Now they have 4 pages and spelling words. One of my kids can do all 4 and the spelling words either. The other gets grumpy after 2 pages. Haven't figured out what to do about that, nothing is working.

Having been a substitute teacher I can tell you that very few teachers actually assign homework. The students are given more than enough time to get the work done in class and whatever doesn't get done goes home. Every once in awhile a project is assigned specifically to do at home but that is rare. Students need to focus on time management at school so they don't have to bring so much home.

My kids don't mind the work that much. They are in second grade. They are given a chapter to read or reread and about 5 or 6 comprehension questions. They are also given 3 math pages. They are usually done in 1 1/2 hours. The rest of the time is theirs to do as they please. They usually chose to play on the computer.

i agree with baby girl. my little girl does a majority of home work at school. i have made her understand that school isnt a social activity it is a place for learning. she has friends but they come last. so when she comes home from school she spends time with me, or as she calls me papa of the century

Some teachers don't give as much time during class. When I taught, I gave homework frequently because they usually just messed around and got into trouble when given time for work during class.

I also think they give too much homework. But it seems that kids today need to learn a lot more than we did. We have tests they call FCAT here in Florida. The reading and math is very hard on them. My 16 year old stepson has been failing for years but after the 3rd time in 7th grade they moved him up to 8th and then 10th. He won`t do the work in school and won`t bring it home to see if we can help.