Thread: High school football

High school football

A hobby of my family is to go support the high school football team by attending their games (home of course). It's bitter cold today but they have a game so we are heading down soon.

I think it is not only great to support the local high school, but it is the right thing to do. It builds community bonds.

There were only about 100 of us there last night. It was pouring! It was a lot of fun to watch still. The boys were in their glory- you could just tell. We ended up beating the other team 39-12 so it was a good game. I was soaked when I left. My kids and wife were dry - something about a man and a pink umbrella... not happening.

We also go support my old high school when we are up that way. It is about an hour drive from our house but we have made a couple games this year. They are 7-0 going into next weeks game! We will support them at the playoffs too!

I love to go to the local HS football games. I am not from this area (only 7 years here), I know a couple of the players and am getting to know the other regulars. Some of them actually nod and speak to me after two years. It is only about a half hour drive for me. Have fun and stay safe.....

I fully realize that football has this huge following, but it frightens me. So many studies are coming out now showing the long term dangers of those tackles. Kids are dying, too. We hear about these 'accidents' throughout the year. I just don't think it's worth it.

Do you drive? .... Everything in life has risks. Have fun and stay safe

Yes, I know it does. I also know that the roughness of the sport and the risk of concussion after concussion (many of which go undiagnosed at the time) are costing kids their lives and health. For me, it's not worth it. I realize that to others, it is. I went to all the games as a kid and most when I was in high school. As years have passed, the risks have become more known. It's like smoking. Everyone used to do it; then the risks became more and more known. Today, a lot of people still smoke, but many others don't because they choose to avoid that risk. It's a choice we all make.

My dad still goes to all my high school's home games. I'll start going again when my daughter is in school (IF I send her to school), but until then I don't go to the games. I like football as much as the next guy (or gal ), but I have to have a personal interest on a high school level to get interested enough to go to a game.