Thread: Gross why?

Gross why?

I planted 4 pepper(3 green and 1 banana) plants in a planter box, gave them fertalizer, put stuff on them so that bugs wouldn't eat them and watered them regularly. So my questions are why were they so small and tasted gross?

Most likely you didn't leave them on the plant long enough. They get milder in flavor the bigger they grow. I would just try leaving them on a little longer next time.

You might have picked them to early or there is another possibility. Some vegetables and fruits have adverse reactions to nitrogen based fertilizers. So either you used too much fertilizer or the fertilizer you used had to much nitrogen in it.

I was thinking the same thing, too much fertilizer. Did you also spray them with something to keep the bugs off? What did you use? Perhaps the flavor of that is on the pepper. We had great luck with our peppers this year, none of them tasted bad at all.

I don't understand. Did you also plant a banana in the plant box with the peppers? A banana would be dwarfed in a plant box and would bear small fruits that are not healthy.

I agree with Fresh. You may have been applying fertilizer to them too much, or using the "wrong" fertilizer. What about trying compost or other types of organic fertilizer?

I had this same problem and wondered what I had done wrong. I tried less fertilizer and then a different one and they tasted a lot better.

I don't know whether it was the Texas climate, the soil, or what, but my bell peppers were all small, as compared to those in the grocery store, but they tasted as good as any you could find.