Thread: Tracking millage

Tracking millage

We can deduct our car for business purposes but we need to be able to track the mileage on the car for 6 solid weeks. Is there any kind of a device I can install to track the mileage on my car?

I have a smart phone and there are many applications that can help you with that. Other than that, you will need to be diligent in making sure you have a little notebook to write as you go.

I do not have a smart phone yet but I am willing to buy a smart phone that will run an app like this. How does the app keep track of the miles? GPS? Is it wireless GPS or are you charged bandwidth?

I don't have a smart phone so I'm not sure how they and the apps work, but I would think you still need to input the information. I don't know of anything that will automatically keep track of the mileage for you, but I might be wrong.

My husband has to do this in a special mileage tracking book for DOT purposes. He hates doing it, but his company truck is DOT certified so he has no choice.

At first I thought this thread was about millage rates for property taxes, but apparently it is about business/farm mileage rates. That's OK. I can discuss either one. My my DW and I use three different personal vehicles and, occasionally, rental vehicles for business/farm. We use the simple write it down and add it up technique. To elaborate we simply write down in an old-fashioned paper notebook the start and end mileage for each business/farm trip.

When we do our taxes we add it all up and enter into Turbotax which will step you right through the process. We find the simple mileage rate deduction is much simpler than keeping up with actual expenses. Remember, you should tell your friendly auto insurance company you are using your vehicle for business/farm purposes which may raise your rates.

Sorry about that. I fixed my original post to fix that. Looks like millage and mileage are right next to each other in the spell check. Guess I clicked to fast! I write it down but my husband claims to be to busy to do it. I am worried we might lose the deduction if he won't do it. My rates did go up with the insurance company so if we do not get the deduction then it was all waste of money.