Thread: Wind turbines

Wind turbines

As solar panels are still not affordable for many or us (me included, of course), do you think
    home scale wind turbines will be a good alternative to generating our own electric power?

I don't know that they're any cheaper. I could be wrong, but I think the cost of turbines is right up there with solar panels. I wish all these green options weren't so darn expensive.

Well, if the cost of wind turbines was not cheaper than it is of solar panels, of course I would go for solar panels. I think solar power are more reliable than wind power.

For a wind turbine you are still looking at a couple thousand dollars. They say it will cover about 80% of home energy needs though. I think that is fantastic.

Well, thanks for the information. I have never known before that getting a wind turbine is that expensive. It's sad the generating renewable energy can be that costly.

Yeah, that's a bit discouraging. Hope it doesn't stop people from going green. Do you think we can get solar panels and wind turbines at cheaper price in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudywindy View Post
    As solar panels are still not affordable for many or us (me included, of course), do you think
    home scale wind turbines will be a good alternative to generating our own electric power?
    Unfortunately, both wind and solar energy possibilities are limited in many parts of the country. Not to mention they are expensive to purchase. There are charts for the wind and solar energy potentials based on location that you can find on the internet. Here's one for potential wind power:

Figure 13. Wind Resource Potential

As you can see from this government chart, at least half of the country is labeled "poor" or "marginal" for wind power. And the majority of the "excellent" or "outstanding" sites are high in the mountains.

I might be wrong here, but I believe I read somewhere that solar panels eventually "wear out"...they loose their ability to convert sunlight to power after a number of years.