Thread: Orchids

Orchids

A friend of mine is fond of orchids and she has a commercial orchid nursery. I don't get into orchid business but I would love to grow some orchids as a hobby. Do you think it takes so much work to grow your own orchids?

I have orchids in my garden and they are one of the plants that does not need much care. They can withstand a day or two without water. But I am not into commercial growing myself...

I think so. Many kinds of orchids (which are actually tropical plants) need only minor maintenance. I also have some in my small garden. I think you could ask your friend for some advice if you want to grow orchids.

There are so many types of orchids that you can grow in your garden with little maintenance. Here are links all about orchids and how to care for them.
    About Orchids: Basic Orchid Care for Beginners - Home;
    and this one:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Orchids

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    I have orchids in my garden and they are one of the plants that does not need much care. They can withstand a day or two without water. But I am not into commercial growing myself...
    Really? That's interesting - I've always been afraid to garden orchids, because I thought that they were very delicate and required lots of care. Thanks for the info, I may just give it a try...

I was so interested in Orchids at one time that I bought "Orchids for Dummies". Unfortunately, life took an unexpected turn and I wasn't able to start growing them but now that my interest has been rekindled, who knows?