Thread: Fixing the floor

Fixing the floor

We have a spot on the kitchen floor that is weak. We don't let anyone sit on it or walk on it (it's in the corner). How big of a job do you think it will be to fix? We want to rip up the tile and fix the floor and then put new flooring down. How big of a job is it?

Big Job

It's hard to say based on the limited information you have provided. I guess I would be more concerned with why the floor is soft, and what are you going to find when you start looking around. The soft spot may be the least of your worries. Do you have termites? Is there a pipe leaking causing wood to rot?
    I'm of the opinion that the floor you are referring to is a raised wood type with a crawl spaced underneath? If this is the case provide a detailed description of the framing and if it is plywood or not. Also if you have appliances in your kitchen are they going to have to be removed?
    Again, it's hard to say based on the limited information you have provided however it seems this is going to be a 3 step process: Demolition, reframing, and retiling. Obviously this is probably going to take more than a weekend, especially if you want all of the kitchen floor to be uniform. If this is the case the entire kitchen floor will have to be replaced.
    If your kitchen is like mine you use it daily, it's an important part of your home and when it's not functional everything gets out of sync, so your going to have to keep that in mind.
    Information is key, so get as much as you can before you do anything else. Get under the house and try to determine exactly what is going on and what it's going to take to fix it. Develop a way to work that won't disrupt your life or your budget by using good planning and design, procuring all materials before starting. Surprises during a project like this are what really slows things down.

Please post the results of your survey and get the help you need from the members here and at this website
    Tractorbynet.com
    Post you questions in the "projects" forum, here you will get all the help you need.
    Good Luck
    RB

I would be concerned about how big a job it may be if you don't repair it! The only real way to tell is to get some experienced eyes to look at it. Maybe get a couple opinions and decide if you can handle it or not.

Visit our new website rtaflooring.com which offers a wider selection of sizes, colors and species and finishes than ever before in Engineered wood floors.

We bought a house 14 years ago that had been unheated for several years. The first thing we did was have new carpet installed. Within about 6 months we started to have a soft spot in one area. Unfortunately it was a heavy traffic area so we had the carpet pulled back, replaced that section of subfloor and figured we were done. Within another 6 months we had several more soft spots develop. I ended up removing the carpet in the whole area, ripping up the particle board subfloor and putting down plywood. That was covered with luan and self stick vinyl tiles. We recently had the vinyl taken up as well as more of the original carpet. The whole area was leveled as well as possible and high quality sheet linoleum put down.