Thread: Coyote near us - should we be alarmed?

Coyote near us - should we be alarmed?

At night when we go out front we can hear coyote all around us. It sounds like they are talking back and forth on the 2 hills by us. Would they come down to the house? Is there something that we should do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    At night when we go out front we can hear coyote all around us. It sounds like they are talking back and forth on the 2 hills by us. Would they come down to the house? Is there something that we should do?
    It would be hard to find a place in the country that does not have coyotes. Sometimes they vocalize and sometimes they don't. They are very opportunistic and will take a pet for food if it is not a gamble of injury for them. So if you have cats, or small dogs, keep them in the yard and in the house at night. If you can't keep them in the house, keep them on the porch with the light off. Illuminating the yard with a small dog or cat is like dangling bait in front of a fish, especially if you are not on the high ground and they are. If you have any small livestock like chickens, goats or calves. sonner or later your probably going to loose one to a coyote. Depending on where you live they have few natural enemies that will predate coyotes so thier numbers will increase, unless someone hunts them. They will eat anythiing from insects to rodents to watermelons and other fruits and vegtables. This time of year after the hay is cut they will be in the cut fields catching mice, voles, gophers and such.
    They travel around and it may be a month before you hear them again, or it could be tonight. You can get them to call back to a loud howl or siren, it's kind of fun to get them to sing.

Good information Robertbrown. Dantheman, it is always good to be careful and alert. My friend lives in a city and this summer they had a problem with wolves coming down and attacking a couple of kids. Nobody saw that coming. Thankfully they got a handle on it, and said that it was a freak incident. However, she did not let her kids go out to the parking area or even to take out the garbage by themselves.

That is excellent information, thank you so much! I know we don't let our pets out at night and they sleep inside. I have heard other animals screeching in the night, could be the other wild animals getting eaten by the packs of coyotes. I hope to never encounter one of them.

I think being aware is the best thing you can do. Something else you might want to do is find a way to secure your trash. The smell of leftovers in the garbage might attract them.

I lose a few barn cats every year and the coyotes are on the short list of guilty suspects. Other than that, they don't give us much trouble, although they sometimes keep me up at night with all the noise.

Here where i live in southern Manitoba I have literally hundreds of coyotes on my land and have never had any kind of a problem with them aside of them ripping up some garbage bags that were left out before disposal. Squirrels are a much bigger problem as coyotes don't tend to take up residence in my attic.

I know when we were in Alaska we saw a few bears in the yard from time to time. Now that can be scary! I have never encountered a coyote though and I think, since the dogs chase the bears away, they could handle coyote too!

Hearing coyotes...is there something you should do? Don't feed them any of your pets. Other than that enjoy listening to them sing. I am a cattle producer with a herd of Black Angus. I also hear coyotes singing and love it. The other day about 0700 I saw a pack of 6 coyotes (could have been more but I only saw 6) run through my extended front yard headed toward the herd and its newborn members (1-2 day old calves.) No harm, no foul. I have never lost an animal to coyotes.

Domestic dogs, peoples pets, will pack up and revert to their wolf instincts and attack adult cattle as well as calves. Around here many cattlemen have a shoot on sight policy for roaming dogs. Of course there are those who shoot coyotes too but it is not realistically justifiable to protect cattle.

Keep your pets away from coyotes and enjoy the music.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"