Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering

Volunteering

Does anybody here volunteer at a local organization? I've been looking into it around me and it's a toss up between an animal rescue group and a soup kitchen. I wish I had time to do both, but I only have a few hours a week I can donate. Once I decide, I think I'll volunteer at one and make a monetary donation to the other.

That is great that you have time to volunteer. All of my volunteering is done at the kids school or sports team. I don't have a lot of extra time but I wish I did. I would like to work at an animal shelter.

I mainly volunteer at my church and the kids schools. When I was single, I used to volunteer a lot more. There is a great website that tells you the volunteer opportunities in your state. Here is the link in case someone wants to check it out: HandsOn Network

I don't think I'd have any trouble deciding between people and animals where to volunteer.

My wife and I are in RSVP, a retired senior volunteer thing. Mostly our service revolves around the local senior center.

I thought of volunteering to help out in the local school but decided I was not "equipped" to deal with "modern" teens.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I wish I had enough time to volunteer more. I would love to volunteer for disaster relief, helping affected people in disaster areas. I wonder if I would have chance to do that.

I do not have a lot of time to volunteer so I make sure to make time around Christmas and thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is for seniors and Christmas is for needy children. It is just the little part I play.

I am glad to hear that even with little time you consider volunteering. I was always taught that giving of our time to others makes our lives richer. It is the same I am teaching my girls. We usually volunteer at the nursing home a couple of times a month as a family. I also volunteer at the girls school at least 2 times a week. I enjoying helping the teachers with the menial stuff so they can concentrate on teaching.

Look at where you would have more opportunity to do your utmost. Both may have different needs and schedules that may or may not be an effective use of your time. I love doing data entry but for the longest time my church only had need for regular work hours but when Sunday volunteers were finally needed it was a perfect fit.

I sooo wish I could volunteer. My problem is that I don't make enough money to survive working my "paid" jobs, which already take up all my time. If I had free time, and all my bills were paid, I would be more than happy to offer my time to help others.

I'm well past my sell by date so I don't have enough energy to volunteer but my wife likes to help out in the local community with legal stuff, if anyone needs letters writing and such like.