Thread: Uniforms - good or bad

Uniforms - good or bad

I was watching a documentary on television that included a bit on a school transitioning to uniforms. How do you feel about high schoolers with a regulated uniform?

I think schools should require uniforms. There are enough reasons for teenagers to treat each other poorly we should not add clothing to the mix. If everyone is wearing the same thing then everyone is even on that point at least. These days too much emphasis is put on what Sally is wearing and whether Jimmy is wearing the latest designer jeans. You are at school to learn period.

I am all for uniforms. It takes the pressure away from trying to compete in clothing, and other possessions. It also makes it easier to identify those not belonging in the school. In my city, the transition has been gradual and this school year was the definite change of all students to uniform.

I tend to agree about the peer pressure thing in terms of who is wearing what. The emphasis should be on the education and not the fashion wardrobe.

I go for uniforms. It takes a lot of time to choose what to wear and peer pressure adds to that. Moreover, it will be easier to spot a student who is cutting classes and roving somewhere else.

I too agree with uniforms, our jr. high schools here have them and it works well, the uniforms don't have to be much, there's is only to have a required school t-shirt so they don't have to buy much extra as full on uniforms can be pretty expensive.

I'm in the uniform camp too for all of the reasons given. I notice that a lot of stores sell inexpensive skirts, trousers and shirts, the uniform basics which helps out poor parents and reduces peer pressure to wear designer gear.

Yes, uniforms are good so kids aren't singled out for their clothing. It can also be good for security too. However, it's more expensive for parents to buy uniforms so there may need to be fundraising/hardship programs.

I too cast a vote for uniforms...I'd say that makes the voting very...er.... uh uniform? Yea it's unanimous for uniforms

Well...... maybe not "uniforms" per se, but there should be some type of dress code - like, not showing everyone your underwear, belly buttons, or butt cracks!