Thread: Decorative pine cones

Decorative pine cones

One of my favorite projects from decades back is to take a plain pine cone and jazz it up for whatever holiday is out there. It just takes the pine cone, any kind of decorative ornament (and that could be anything), and a bit of glue. These can become treasured annual items or throwaways that are unique each year. They also make great, inexpensive gifts and 'thinking of you' for nursing homes and such.

I love to make Christmas trees out of pine cones. I have fun with my kids picking them up. I think this year I am going to try and get a group of kids involve. It is always great to have something for kids to do now during cold days.

The great thing is that you don't have to be a design star. That is what I like about these because I don't consider myself good at arts and crafts, but when I made this first one, I had a lot of pride about it.

I have seen some which are painted gold and silver with glitters and trimmings and they look so gay and beautiful. I wish we have some cones around here.

One of the cutest tree ornament ideas is to spray paint pine cones with a light coat of gold spray paint and add gold cord for hangers. We live in the woods, and the cones are everywhere. I hung them on the tree interspersed with other outdoorsy items.

That sounds really lovely. We're always looking for new ideas. We strung some small ones up on a line of tinsel and looped it around one of our windows. It's pretty festive.