Thread: New addition to family

New addition to family

Well, it's been 3 yrs since we had to put down our last dog. Been fine without one, not having to look out for "land mines" when cutting the grass (At least from our own dog, neighbor's dog leaves a few now and then. LOL.)

But, we love dogs and figured sooner or later we'd get another. We get to have our daughter's 2 (Weimeraner & German Short Haired Pointer (GSP) visit now and then and they love to run on our 55 acre property and swim in the pond. Since the kids are grown, we decided that when we did get a dog, we would get two so they would be companions for each other while we're at work and be able to run/play together in the woods/fields. Anyway, happened to see a posting through a GSP Rescue online for a brother/sister pair.

Their owner had died and the "foster dude" (friend of the family) was excited to hear that they would be kept together as they, obviously, were very attached to each other and this was the guy's dying wish. Well, just before the Rescue picked them up, they found out the guy had given away the brother, even though he knew they would have a home together! Grrrr! Nothing the Rescue could do and we picked up the sister on Saturday. She loves to point and hunt but is a little on the thin side. We will get her in shape with plenty of nourishment and exercise and ease her transition with lots of TLC. Looking for a partner for her and (fingers crossed) have a line on another GSP from the Rescue.

Dogs are pack animals, and so I think they do much better psychologically if they have at least another dog to be with. Maybe she is a little thin because she is grieving the loss of the other dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    Dogs are pack animals, and so I think they do much better psychologically if they have at least another dog to be with. Maybe she is a little thin because she is grieving the loss of the other dog?
    I think it can be easier to have 2 dogs than to have just one.

When I was young we had a dog whom we all loved and when she died my dad was devastated and wouldn't get another dog for years, then one day he brought home brother and sister labs and as you said they were good companions for each other while we were away at work and school and they were great dogs. Hope you're able to rescue another great dog soon.

Very cute dog. Thanks for posting!

I am a hundred percent for having at least 2 dogs. Dogs need companions, and not just human companions, especially if you aren't home 24/7. I've seen my 'solo' dogs perk up so much when I acquired a puppy for them. It makes a world of difference.