Thread: Time to decide

Time to decide

My old Chevy is close to dying. We are in the process of deciding what should we get next. My husband suggests a minivan, but I would like a small SUV. I know both of them are gas guzzlers, but I am hoping that if we go with a green car we can take advantage of the federal and state incentives. What do you guys think?

I believe both have greener or fuel efficient versions, it really depends on what your needs are and how much your willing to spend. The van has more room and the mini suv is the same room as a car.

I am kind of with you there, Rita! I have actually been driving smaller, more fuel-efficient cars in recent years. They are great for getting from point A to point B, but when you have something you need to carry, you have no room! I am thinking about getting a newer, bigger, car myself, like an SUV or pickup truck, even though I know I should do the "green" thing. Is there a bigger vehicle that is "green" that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Most of the green vehicles I'm aware of all seem to be on the small size. I think that is perhaps due to how much power the battery is capable of producing.

I just went from a 2000 Jeep to a 2011 Equinox. Nice change. Will haul more than the jeep and gets about 7 more miles per gallon of gas (actual). Chevy has all wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive and yet seems to handle our record snows so far here in Minnesota. Also Stabiltrak to keep from spinning out. The advances in 10 years in computers doing the work is just short of a miracle. The price is mid 20's but there are a lot of incentives out there right now. I am not a sales person and do not derive anything from this recomendation, just passing the info along. I really liked my jeep and the strong points that it has, but it is in the shed and the chevy is out and about!!
    No fun, change the rules!!!

I always swore I'd never get a minivan but I think I'm going to get one next year. It has both passenger and cargo space, something most SUVs don't, unless you get a monster like the Suburban.

Be sure to check out the safety aspects of whatever vehicles you are getting. Especially when you have kids to transport, that makes a huge difference; at least it does to me.