Thread: What are you bringing for Thanksgiving?

What are you bringing for Thanksgiving?

I know that everyone has their special dish that they like to bring to the Thanksgiving Feast. I like to keep it simple and volunteer to bring the turkey. For me, that is the easiest. I have a certain way that I make the turkey, and it is the juciest, fall-off-the-bone turkey you have ever eaten! Can't divulge my secret! But I was just wondering what do others consider is their best dish to bring?

It is not fair that you are not going to share the recipe when you describe it as falling off the bone. I don't really like turkey, but if it comes out like you describe it, I want to be invited to your house. :-)

I usually make the green bean casserole which is a no brainer as well as potato salad and sweet potato casserole.

Yah... lets all meet at Pumpkin's house!!

I usually bring a corn casserole that people seem to like. Its an Amish recipe with egg. Also make an apple pie with many different kinds of apples (macs, cortlands, galas, romes) ...makes for a great pie!

Sign me up for the shinding at Pumpkin's house.

I like doing desserts. I usually bring a pecan pie, sweet potato pie, as well as apple pie. I also like making cheesecake. I sometimes make them as tiny individual ones.

Ok, you are all welcome to my house - bring it on!! Alright, I will share my recipe for those who can't make it. It's very, very simple: Preheat the oven as recommended on the turkey wrapper according to the size and weight of your turkey. You wash the turkey (of course), then season it with any seasonings that you like. You then take a paper bag - yes, a PAPER bag (like the kind you get from the grocery store), oil it down with either shortening or cooking oil (make sure it is completely oiled), place the turkey in it, close it up (just fold it in as best as you can), place the turkey in a roasting pan, then let the turkey cook for exactly as long as the package says - the amount of time may vary according to the size of your turkey. When you open the bag, you will have the juiciest, best-tasting turkey you have ever had in your life! FYI, I have tried this with ham, and it worked out just as well!

Lol Pumpkin. I usually bring my Broccoli casserole. Everyone loves it. 1 large bag of frozen broccoli parts, 2 eggs, 1 and 1/2 cups of mayo, 1 can of mushroom soup, 2 or 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix it all up (broccoli thawed out) put it in the oven on 350 for about 45 minutes.

Hominy

I make it with a curry sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovethecountry View Post
    Lol Pumpkin. I usually bring my Broccoli casserole. Everyone loves it. 1 large bag of frozen broccoli parts, 2 eggs, 1 and 1/2 cups of mayo, 1 can of mushroom soup, 2 or 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix it all up (broccoli thawed out) put it in the oven on 350 for about 45 minutes.
    Wow, that sounds simple enough! I think I would like to try that as an alternative to green bean casserole. Of course, people might get mad, because that is something that is a "must have" at Thanksgiving.

Brussels Sprouts (frozen) with a pound of bacon and one cup of chopped walnuts. Fry the bacon till crisp and crumble it, fry the Sprouts in the grease and drain, toss in the walnuts and then into the oven for about 40 minutes.