Thread: Candlemaking

Candlemaking

Does anyone here make candles? I do! It's been awhile since I've done it, but it's fun. I make standalone and container candles from paraffin wax.

I have always wanted to make candles. Are paraffin wax the easiest to make or why did you choose it? Do they burn even? Where do you buy the supplies? Should I buy a kit?

Paraffin was cheap and available, and yes, my candles seem to burn evenly. I started with a kit from Michael's and a double boiler. It's really easy. You should try it, Rita, it's a lot of fun!

It is a lot of fun and you can get really creative with it, especially when you start bringing different colors into it and aromas, or even herbs or flowers. It can become a real beautiful thing.

I thought about it, but it just seems like the supplies were too costly. That really seems to be the case with most hobbies, anymore!

I'd like to try it. Does the kit include molds for the candles? How about instructions for making it? Does paraffin have a scent?

I bought a kit at Michaels that had votive molds and purchased the pillar molds separately. Yes the kits have instructions, and paraffin has a faint scent, but it's easily covered by any scent you want to add to the wax.

I have dabbled recycling old wax into new things. I like re purposing old stuff into new so it cuts down on my carbon foot print, for now.

I really like having candles around. I go through a lot of them. Do you find that it's any less expensive to make your own than it is to buy them? I REALLY like the idea of "re-purposing" old candles and reducing the carbon footprint too!

I love making candles and soap.