Thread: School Bully

Cool School Bully

There is a school bully feared by the student's in my son's school. Should I report this to the school authorities? How should I go about it, if the students are afraid to testify?

I would personally bring it to the attention of the school. There are a lot of ways that schools are addressing this issue these days - it is taken a lot more seriously than ever! They should have a way of handling the situation, but unless it is made known to them, there is nothing they can do about it!

You definitely need to get involved. The school authorities need to be made aware of what is going on. Even though schools are trying some of them are not doing enough. Parents need to be on top of this situations before they get out of hand.

If it was me, I think I would make an appointment with my child's teacher first to discuss my concerns, and see what advice the teacher has for the best way to proceed. I wouldn't go straight to the board.

Don't beat around the bush. Go to the principal, if no satisfaction go to the superintendent. The teacher is in one of two states: Knows but ignores the situation or doesn't know. The first is dereliction of duty and the second is nearly as bad, the teacher is not "in tune" with the class. Bullying is very serious business and is not good for the bully or the bullied. Demand IMMEDIATE action and a date certain by which the findings of an investigation will be made available or what corrective action was taken. Do not let up until you are satisfied of two things: bullying has stopped and a plan is in place to handle bullying.

Stick to your guns!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I would immediately be going to the principles office. Obviously the teachers don't want to get involved. I agree that if you don't get the result your looking for from the principle than it is time the superintendent gets involved.

What a difficult situation. So many great ideas on how to handle. One question that comes to mind is in trying to get this situation resolved, what protection is in place for the person being bullied? Kids are sure to see or hear that some parent has been to school, and my immediate concern is reprisal on the child that is being bullied. The bully will be civil as long as an adult is present, but what about the times when they are alone and no adult is around?

You need to go to the principal immediately. I work at a school and if something like this was going on, my principal would want to know before anyone else. I would tell the principal exactly what you said here, that many students are afraid to come to an adult about this bully in fear that they will later be picked on or hurt. You could also suggest that you don't want your son to be singled out as identifying the bully because he too is afraid of later being bullied. There are many ways to get to the bottom of this. Schools are very concerned now with the act of bullying, so I'm sure there will be a way to get to the bottom of this in confidentiality for all of the students who have been victims or are afraid of becoming a victim to this bully.

Something like this needs to be addressed not only for the victims, but for the bully too. It is when the school system and parents let this behavior continue in an individual that really hurts society in the long run. The bully may be able to be reached and helped so that this behavior discontinues and that person will live a happier life too.
    Nothing like good old fashioned home cookin .....

You can also try to go to the parent of the bully. Kids are scared of bullies for fear that they bully will hurt them or start to bully them. It's a sick viscous cycle. If the parents won't step up then I would go to the principal.