Thread: Squirrels

Squirrels

Some people don't like seeing squirrels - they use your lawn furniture stuffing for nests; they make nests in the worst places; they chew up wiring in your car; the list goes on... I know we have lots and lots of squirrels here, and I am seeing a lot more now as they gather up food for the winter. I also see more "roadkill" now on our street. I love animals, and I love watching the squirrels outside my window, but how do you protect your house and vehicle from squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    but how do you protect your house and vehicle from squirrels?
    Get
    a
    dog
    this

We have a lot around us too as we live in a forested area but the worst they seem to do is eat all the hazelnuts before we can gather them and plant trees in my garden!

I have a pair that are very smart. They have three different apartments in my backyard, and they go shopping to my garbage cans. I had to buy larger cans with heavy lids because they kept breaking the plastic garbage cans and littering all the way to their house

We usually only have one or two at a time in our yard, or at the bird feeder, but one day last week we had six chasing each other and playing in the yard and trees.

I love the squirrels, and I do have dogs. There's a TV commercial where a squirrel taunts a driver of a car. That's what the squirrels do to my dogs. It's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Classical Me View Post
    I love the squirrels, and I do have dogs. There's a TV commercial where a squirrel taunts a driver of a car. That's what the squirrels do to my dogs. It's pretty funny.
    We have a fat little Chihuahua and the squirrels will taunt her by staying on the trunk of a tree just a foot or two above her. Of course the squirrels don't know that the little dog just wants to play and wouldn't hurt them if she caught one. However, the folks behind us have 3 full sized Great Danes and 2 smaller dogs. The squirrels will run along the top of the wooden fence and those Great Danes jumping at them broke up one section of fence enough that the neighbor replaced the entire 8' section.:laughing:

I love squirrels and I'm just glad that the squirrels in my area are behaved. Maybe because there are still a lot of trees here where they can forage food and get the materials for their homes. Sometimes they come by at my window just looking at what we are doing.