Thread: End of an era

End of an era

I've made model wooden ships for as long as I can remember but the time has come to cease and sell off all of my tools and bits. I won't miss it because I am slowing down now and spending more time relaxing, but it feels like the end of an era.

Make it the start of a new era instead. Take up another hobby that would not require much attention to details and would make you more relaxed. Join civic groups or an association, get involved. It's a new beginning!

It's really a shame, but some hobbies are getting to be very costly! I used to love to crochet, and always had plenty of handmade gifts ready for giving this time of year. But the cost of materials is so expensive that I can't afford to do it very much anymore. It's a shame.....

I hope that many people have been able to benefit from your endeavors and skill, it's good to know that a hobby like this is able to live on for others to enjoy.

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, the models that I have made are still around as I sold some and gave some to family members. I was also running out of space to store them and, like everything else, materials are getting too expensive. I'll take up some other hobby I am sure.

I'll bet you're a walking encyclopedia on the subject. Did you ever consider doing something like teach a class on the subject? You should think about it!

Millie is right. You could make a website about this and place all your knowledge into that website. I'm sure that you know a lot of this and you are thinking more designs. You can put this into the website and people can benefit from it. Then you can also benefit from the website whether by advertisements or paying for the new designs that are in your head but not yet been created.

I've been doing dollhouse furniture and shadow boxes stantheman. I'll find an old leg off a junk table and resaw it for the lumber. If your looking for a challenge you might want to try fixing old cuckoo clocks too. I've got an old german one given to me I've been working off and on for about six months. The workmanship of those clocks is just amazing.