Thread: What Size Turkey

What Size Turkey

I know that the turkey companies have a scale of how many the different size turkeys are suppose to feed but I always find that its still not enough, is it that as a country we're eating more and are bigger? What size turkey do y'all recommend I get for 14 people.

For the many people, you would need a 25 to 30 lbs turkey which is just too much. It would take over 12 hours of cooking on moderate heat and there too many chances to get dry. I would recommend two 13 lbs turkey.

You are still going to have problems trying to cook two 13 Lbs turkeys unless you have access to two ovens. I am just having a small get together this year.

We are getting a 22 lb turkey. But we always have ham and roast too. And lots of side dishes. There is always plenty to go around and left overs for the next day. I love left over turkey sandwiches.

I think that ilovethecountry has the right idea. I think you should get a variety of meats. It would really take too long to make all that turkey unless you order it from a place like Boston Market or even from a supermarket like Stop & Shop. In my town bakeries would cook your turkeys for a fee.

You could always get one of the people coming to your get together to bring a turkey with them because, even if you have a variety of meats, you're likely still going to need two ovens.

Too Good

Quote Originally Posted by countrystepper View Post
    I know that the turkey companies have a scale of how many the different size turkeys are suppose to feed but I always find that its still not enough, is it that as a country we're eating more and are bigger? What size turkey do y'all recommend I get for 14 people.
    Your turkey tastes too good and that's why everybody is eating so much. Perhaps a more tasty stuffing or a big pot of rutabagas would leave a little turkey left over

With all of the other dishes you are going to have, you really don't want to overdo it on the turkey. For my family of four, I usually get the smallest one I can find, and I always have plenty of leftovers. Of course, for 14 people you might want two turkeys, but keep in mind - unless you want to eat turkey for days, you don't really want to have too many leftovers. There is only so much you can do with it before you get tired of turkey. Unless you freeze the leftovers, maybe.

In the past we've always did Thanksgiving at my sister's farm. 20ish in a small house kind of thing.
    She would make two turkeys a day or two before, slice them and then keep the meat in a combo of turkey and chicken broth.