Thread: Movable Chicken Coop?

Movable Chicken Coop?

I am also thinking of getting a few chickens. Is it important to have a chicken coop that moves, or does anyone here have a stationary coop?

OK, the sled/ATV idea sounds good. I was only thinking a few chickens anyway. We just thought it'd be nice to have enough to provide eggs for us.

Well we're still a family of 3, and try as I might, my toddler will not eat eggs! My in-laws live nearby though so I could give any extras to them. Thanks!

OK thanks for the info...based on what we eat now, I guess we'd only need two birds.

What in the world are you going to do with 500-600 eggs per week?!

I really like the idea of the rotational chicken house for the layers!! Easier to collect eggs and i do not think the chickens would be too stressed by the move once they got used to it. Is there a reason for a moveable house for the layers?

This being said we have raised out 'meats' in the chicken tractor (moveable chicken house) for about 6 years now and it is a god send for the lawn and the ease of raising plus the decrease in food costs!! It will be interesting here at our new place since there seems to be a lot more coyotes in this area and we have not had the problem of predation in the past.

But, heck, with your numbers you could just get grocery boxes and use them!!!
    No fun, change the rules!!!

Tractor coop

I've been designing a moveable chicken coop for several months. I'm using information gleened from this website an other sources. There is a lot consider as things must be kept clean. Things like access, washable surfaces, roosting and next boxes. This website is a really great resource for a lot of reasons.
    Chicken Learning Center - Raise Chickens, Incubate Eggs, Hatch Chicks
    Hawks will become a problem, we have lots of them here in Florida. The chickens I have now are surprising good at out maneuvering them so far (seramas), but they can only make one mistake where as the hawks can make lots.