Thread: Honesty box

Honesty box

Does anyone use an honesty box? This is where you sit your home made jam, or fruit, or seedlings on a little stall at the end of your drive and allow buyers to help themselves and put their money in a little box. It has worked for us for years and we have never had problems, but the guy down the road had his box stolen recently-so sad!

That is a real blow to the old age moral values that we have held for so long! I hope the thief was not from the neighborhood, otherwise, it will be the death of the honesty box.

You take your chances doing that type of thing. Sorry about what happened to your neighbor! I actually worked at a job that didn't have a vending machine and a woman there kept snack-sized goodies and a jar on her desk for the money. Granted, some people did stick in IOU's occasionally, but they always paid up on payday. She used the profits for her daughter's college fund, and I think she made a good bit of profit doing it.

That's a really neat idea. I guess you'd put one out and hope your faith in humanity was justified. I wonder if kids stole your neighbor's box--it seems childish.

What is even worse, and I have seen this happen but thankfully not in my immediate neighbourhood, is when the charity box that is standing on the shop counter collecting loose change for orphans is stolen. Now, that really sucks!

I have never seen one of those before. On Halloween I have seen people leave the candy outside like that. Most of the kids have a parent with them so they only take a few but sometimes a teenager takes the whole thing. Such a sad thing to do. I feel bad for people that steal because one day they will have something stolen from them and they will know how it feels.

That is a really neat idea. I do not think that would work where I live now. Seems like more and more people are doing things they should not be doing.

Well, I have heard it said that locks were not intended for honest people. Isn't it sad that the majority always have to watch out for the few??

This isn't good for me. I can't just put a box to put the payment for my products as I can't trust everyone, like what the neighbor of Peppercorn experienced. Just one person who is dishonest can take the box.