Thread: Shoddy workmanship

Shoddy workmanship

I despair of the goods on sale today! My wife has just returned the second of two brand new valances she ordered over the internet. The first was appalling. It was torn, stained and badly finished so she got an apology, was told it had slipped through quality control and was sent another which is just as bad! Manufactured in some cheap sweat shop in China probably.

Unfortunately it is that way in a lot of the things we buy. What irks me is that even if I wanted to pay top dollars for things I like, the people that actually slave to get it done will not receive a decent wage. I wish we had more made in America products, but at the same time, I know it will mean that a whole lot of families will not get to eat. It is a catch 22 situation.

It's a shame that the price of goods keep going up and up but the quality of those products keep going down and down; I'm surprised that you even got an apology much less another one and you're still dealing with it.

It's the same with everything. Our TV broke after only three years but as the warranty was only for two years there was nothing we could do, plus the retailer had gone out of business!

I find furniture is much worse then it used to me. I have 4 old bookcases that were made 35 years ago. They are still structurally just as good as they day they are made. They needed refinished not to long ago but are great. The ones you can get from the store with that board backing never last.

Oh don't even get me started on furniture! We inherited some lovely solid oak furniture which has outlasted everything modern that we bought. You can't buy anything but cheap flat pack unless you go antique.