Thread: What can I do to help my dog?

What can I do to help my dog?

My poor dog walks on two legs. One back one, one front one. We already spent about $400 at the vets and they want to do more tests. We just can`t afford it. I think he has degenerative joint disease. If he loses any more leg use we may have to put him down. He is 8 years old and a shepherd mix. I was giving him children's aspirin to help the inflammation but he still has problems. His muscles in those two legs have nearly gone away now. I just don`t know what else to do for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovethecountry View Post
    My poor dog walks on two legs. One back one, one front one. We already spent about $400 at the vets and they want to do more tests. We just can`t afford it. I think he has degenerative joint disease. If he loses any more leg use we may have to put him down. He is 8 years old and a shepherd mix. I was giving him children's aspirin to help the inflammation but he still has problems. His muscles in those two legs have nearly gone away now. I just don`t know what else to do for him.
    Its a shot in the dark, but if you think its a joint problem, an OTC supplement called glucosamine might help. Truthfully, I doubt it. What you describe doesn't seem to be normal degenerative disease, but maybe someone with veterinary skills will chime in. The glucosamine is the only thing I can offer that might help. And even if it does, it would take months before you see results, typically.

There is a company called "Springtime" that sells all kinds of wonderful natural products for dogs and horses. We had a 14 year old chocolate lab several years back that developed arthritis, and it fixed him right up.

You can also try one of those dog carts. Dogs adapt to them fairly easily and they can make them to fit your dog perfectly. I know it's hard. I had a shepherd like that once too but the dog cart gave him more years for us to love.

I love the dog cart idea, kind of like a wheelchair for pets. It wouldn't be hard to build something like that, and I think it would make your dog much more comfortable. I know it has to be hard on a dog to walk on two legs.

Bless his and your heart. That has to be hard on you too. The cart idea is really neat and I watched a show the other day with a dog with one of those. It seemed to work really well for him.

My aunt had a wheelchair for her dog, she was born with a crushed hind end so she relied on the wheelchair to get around. It was a cool idea and gave the dog a few good years.

I think that might be a joint problem or bone problem.You must consult with a doctor for this.Spend money but in proper way.Direct discuss with your proper veterinary doctor.

How can he walk 2 legs like that?

Consult a doctor asap.