Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mead Making

Mead Making

I have found a couple of very easy recipes to make mead. It is even easier than making wine and easier than brewing beer. Tomorrow I will make my first batch. Are there any people out there who make mead? What have been your experience? Any suggestions for a newbie. I can't wait for the first batch to be ready.

I've never heard of this before at first I thought you were talking about a kind of bread, what is mead and what is it made out of and does it need to be fermented? How long does the process take before you can drink it. I'm intrigued. :licking:

Oh, that sounds good! Can you share the recipe please? I'm sorry I have no tips, for I'm a newbie too.

Countrystepper--mead is fermented honey with water and yeast.

I've drunk it but never made it. There is a wonderful place that we visited where we tasted lots of different types of mead, some still and some carbonated, mixed with berries and rhubarb. They have a website here.

Chiquita just saw this thread...I have!
    Strawberry Mead. About six gallons of it.
    The biggest difference between making beer and mead is that the Mead Mash needs air during the primary fermentation.
    I used an old fish tank bubbler with new hose and stone. If you were doing beer the air would spoil the batch but with
    mead it helps break down the honey.

Quote Originally Posted by countrystepper View Post
    I've never heard of this before at first I thought you were talking about a kind of bread, what is mead and what is it made out of and does it need to be fermented? How long does the process take before you can drink it. I'm intrigued. :licking:
    It's a fermented alcohlic beverage made with honey. It's been around for over a thousand years. Reletively easy to make but difficult to make well. Capable of giving you a hangover worthy of suicide. You can buy it sold as mead or honey wine, not very popular as it's an aquired taste. There's a reason you have never heard of it.

I heard that there is a way to make it with a plastic gallon and a balloon. This way you get an idea of how would it work and not invest any money. If you have a success then you try buying equipment. PGeorge, how did you make the strawberry mead.

I did my first batch and everything is going great. The only bad thing is the waiting since it is going to be a few months before it is ready for consumption. Here is the website where I found the recipe: The fastest,easiest, and cheapest way to make some mead

I'll have to look for the recipe but it was 7 gallons of store bought water (never use tap water), 10 pounds of clover honey, the yeast I used was good up to 11% and 2 large bags of frozen strawberries.
    I've done the balloon thing and it does work for regular wine but when using honey instead of corn sugar or regular sugar you need to introduce air to the primary fermentation.
    Been meaning to put the beer thing back up on the website that gives details, maybe this afternoon. Just waiting for snow and the viking games tonight.
    And Chiquita brewers are allowed to taste test. The other thing I tried on my last batch of mead was to chill it in and old fridge before the final bottling. All the yeast settled to the bottom and the end result was very clear.

My humble attempt to explain how to make beer and mead.
    Making Beer - patsporch.com