Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mead Making

PGeorge, thanks for the information. I really like the clear and to the point explanation on how to brew. I can't wait for the mead explanation. Did you puree the strawberries or did you put them whole?

Nope, no puree, it only makes things harder, getting the seeds out. All of strawberries into a cheesecloth bag.
    After two weeks in the primary fermentation you'll only have the seeds leftover in the bag. Also make sure no green stuff in the bag.
    Before you bottle smell and taste. The last batch I added a small bottle of strawberry flavoring. I'm thinking that during the fermentation process you will lose some of the berry flavor.
    If you've got the space and time you might also want to consider beehives. Just make sure you pasteurize the honey to 150 degrees. I know a guy who sells mead and both of us think that it's the bees knees that really add the flavor. He does 250 gallons at a time and it's much better than the store bought stuff.
    The real key is learning how to use a hydrometer and a high alcohol yeast. 10% or better.

It makes sense. You have given me a lot of great information to get me going in the right direction. I was always afraid to start such a project, but I have found great people on the forum that have made me think that it is ok to try and fail. I have also learned that I can do anything I plan, and it will only take time and a little reading.

My wife made some mead for us a few years ago and it was great. She used water from our artesian well and it worked fine.

Honey mead is one of my absolute favorite drinks. I have been making it for about five years now and I even make my children non alcoholic mead for them to enjoy.