Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sell or Trade In?

Sell or Trade In?

My husband and I will be buying a minivan next year. We're debating on whether to trade our '99 Civic in or try to sell it ourselves. What do you think?

If it were me I would try to sell it first. I have never had a good trade in price. You could use the money as a down payment so you payments won`t be as high.

Well we have to keep the car until we have the minivan because it's our only vehicle with a backseat, but if we sell it afterwards we can apply the money to the principal.

You can probably get more for it by selling it yourself, but it's much more convenient to trade it in on whatever you're buying. If you sell it yourself, not matter how honest you are with buyers or potential buyers, there's always the possibility the vehicle will have a problem shortly after the sale and the buyer will blame you. So, yep, I don't do things in the best financial manner, but I usually go the trade-in route.

Sometimes I also do things that aren't the best financially but that I'm more comfortable with. If we end up selling the car, that'll all be on my husband because I don't want the hassle.

You should look in the internet to see what is the blue book value. That way, you will have an idea what is the optimum price you could get for it. The dealer will never give you the real value because they know how to muddle the water, but you can go with information and press the issue. You might be able to get a good trade in price.

You should wait for the good deals dealers have for Christmas. They want to get rid of the 2010 inventory and sometimes offer a 0% interest rate, no down payment or both. I have even heard of some of them offering $3,000 for your trade in regardless of how little are they valued at.

Right, I have to agree that right now is the best time to buy a car. After this your next good sale wont be until June or July. So if you are going to trade it in those are your three best months. All other months.... I say sell.

If you do decide to use it as a trade in where no rebate is offered then don't submit it until you get a good deal or the last offer of price with out a trade in then ask for a price with the trade in.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I wish I could trade it in before the holidays but it'll be June at least before I can afford to do it. I have to pay off another car first.