Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sell or Trade In?

Quote Originally Posted by countrystepper View Post
    If you do decide to use it as a trade in where no rebate is offered then don't submit it until you get a good deal or the last offer of price with out a trade in then ask for a price with the trade in.
    So you play games with the salesman. And you should know if he has very much experience in the business, he knows the game better than you. You can look up the "blue book" values (Kelly Blue Book) and you can look up the NADA values (National Automobile Dealers Association) and those 2 will probably be quite different. And you may consider your trade-in to be in excellent condition while the dealer may consider it fair/good/mediocre so they may not allow what you expect.

If you know the Blue Book value ahead of time and stand firm on getting that amount, you should make out fine on the one you want to sell. If they want to sell you a vehicle, they will work with you.

I have been through this and my advice is sell the vehicle on your own. I owed more for my truck that I traded in and they added it to my new vehicle price so it was like paying double interest and my payments are about $80 higher . I should not have fallen for that.

Much of what to do depends on if your state gives a tax advantage on trading in. If the new car is 10 bucks, and the trade is worth 3 bucks, the difference is 7 and you pay tax on 7 not 10.