Thread: Making your own PC

Cool Making your own PC

I am not a technical person, but I would like to try to assemble my own CPU so that I can understand the parts and what it does better. Is this possible? Where can I get a good guide?

A lot of people say, that it is really cheap to build your own computer. I don't have the guts to even try. My involvement with the computer is basically turning it on and using the internet. I know how to use a couple of programs, but I wouldn't be able to even opening the case in order the tweak my current PC. Let us know how does it works out.

I know someone who loves putting computers together, and has more computers than anyone I know! He says that it is inexpensive. I just never tried it, because he has also always been someone who works on that type of thing, and I am afraid that I don't have those types of technical skills.

My boys dad can build a PC. I have no idea how to even start. What I would really like to do is build a lap top . Maybe I`ll check out google and see if I can afford to make one. Some times the directions are confusing and the parts are expensive. I have some old computers laying around but they are desk tops.

I subscribe to a great technical newsletter called "Windows Secrets" and they have a fantastic forum where you can ask and discuss anything including building a PC. Here is the link, I hope it helps and the best of luck!

I have built several home computers starting way before there was an IBM PC, or a Mac. Anyone recall the Heath Kit computers, Altair, and such? Anyway My super go fast high horsepower computer currently on my desktop was built by a local computer service shop. I decided exactly what components I wanted and went out for bids to a few shops. I got the computer built, OS installed, lengthly burn-in etc for about $100 over the best price I could get buying from low bidders (a bunch of different ones.) So for $100 I got a lot of work done, they ordered all the parts and I have a single source to go to for warranty (didn't need it but it could have happened.)

Assembling the 'puter is NOT DIFFICULT but you will not learn much except how to plug in IC's, turn a screwdriver, plug in cables and the like. It is extremely unlikely that you will learn anything about how a computer works.

Had I assembled my latest computer myself I would have saved no more than $100. I put about a grand into it and it wouyld cost you $4000 to $5000 to buy its equivalent off the shelf from Alien or whoever else has really HOT boxes.

White box versus black box. You can't see what is going on inside a black box. Building a computer is just cabling a bunch of black boxes together. Going white box where you deal with the internals of what is happening electronically inside the little boxes is a whole different ball game, above and beyond the casual meddler. As someone who used to do electronic design engineering and is a retired computer scientist and so forth and so on, my best advice is do it yourself if you need to for some reason or pay a Jr. High student $50 to do it for you if shopping at Wally World doesn't appeal. There are just loads of good used computers available for pennies on the dollar if you don't need a hot rod.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I applaud the desire here, but it's something I could never undertake. I did, however, buy a computer once that was made by a guy in town who was a bit of a computer guru. It worked very well for a long time.

Going back in time here I know as far as posts go...I've built every computer I have ever owned and well it is pretty easy..As far as less expensive...maybe. what I mean is that if you would spend 1000 dollars on a computer that was prebuilt and ready to go...chances are you'll spend 1500 dollars or more on the parts for one you'll build yourself. Why? Because you'll realize what a computer would cost prebuilt with the parts you buy.

And if I might make a suggestion...If you want to save some serious money on a any Windows Product..or any other software go to your local college and pay a kid 20 bucks to buy it at the college bookstore for you..Seriously!