Thread: Xeriscaping in Florida

Xeriscaping in Florida

The lawn in my backyard is dying and I'm interested in xeriscaping it to save water and money. Do you have any suggestions for drought-tolerant groundcover you can walk on?

I was curious about xeriscaping because this is the first time I heard about it. With the receding supply of water, it should be practiced everywhere. Here is a link for your ground cover. Xeriscaping: Ground Cover Plants

Hey, thanks for the link! Since it came from Colorado State, I'm not sure the plants are appropriate for Florida, but it gives me a good starting point for research.

I also live in Florida. We have mostly weeds instead of grass. And in the winter it all turns brown. I want to re-sod our yard but that`s expensive. I have never heard of what the original poster is talking about. I`ll have to check it out. I once thought about just using rocks like I see a lot of people here do. Or even use outdoor carpet for grass lol.

Xeriscaping is landscaping so you don't have to irrigate much or at all. Generally it involves using local, drought-tolerant plants in your yard, although I guess using rocks is an alternative way of doing it.

I also live in Florida, and have a question about Xeriscaping. Would this ground cover invite more snakes? We have an area where we used a low lying ground cover and it seems like there are many snake skins around this area.

Wow, it is amazing what you can learn by participating in a forum. I have never heard of xeriscaping before. It sounds very 'far out' actually. Thanks for my lesson of the day.