Thread: Indian Powwows

Indian Powwows

Does anyone else enjoy going to the many Indian Powwows that take place during this time of year? I think they are so beautiful!

I used to go to them all the time! There is a fantastic one on new years eve not to far from here. They do that one inside because it can be rather cold. I miss the days back when I had time to go to Powwows.

I went to one Powwow about 5 years ago and enjoyed it immensely. However, there aren't that many close to where I live. Does anybody know if there is a good website with a listing of Powwows throughout the USA?

I have never been to any powwow event, but it looks exciting. Can you attend even if you are not a native American? I saw a calendar with powwow schedules here: PowWows.com - Your portal to Native American Tribal Culture - Calendar

Yes, Tuesday, you can attend - I have actually seen people get in and participate in some of the group dances! The general public is actually welcomed - it creates awareness.

The public is welcome at most powwow activities, but joining in on the dances is normally by invitation, not good to just jump up and get in. Usually there are dances that you are invited to join in if you wish to.

This sounds fascinating, especially to someone like myself who lives in the UK. We have our own little regional traditions of course, some dating back for hundreds of years, but none that sound as interesting as this.