Thread: Apples

Apples

I was giving a big basket of apples, and I am not sure of what should I make with them. I was thinking about making a couple of apple pies, but I would still have a whole bunch of apples left. Suggestions?

I had the same problem a while ago. My husband loves apple pies but there are only so many he can eat! I made an apple upside down cake which was just apple slices in the bottom covered with a sponge mixture.

Awhile back, I was looking on the Internet for recipes for Granny Smith apples (very tart apples) and found French Apple Cobbler Recipe

I peeled two large Granny Smith apples, sliced them pretty thin, and even cut the slices into about 3 pieces each. I didn't have a 9" square pan so I used one that's 7" x 11". It was so good, I've had to repeat the recipe a couple of times. I don't know how it would work with other apples, but the Granny Smiths aren't tart in this recipe and to us, it's better than any apple pie I ever ate. And it's actually quicker, simpler, and easier to make than apple pie. We think it's best served warm, whether immediately after cooking, or whether warmed in the microwave later. I prefer mine with a little vanilla ice cream, while my wife prefers hers without the ice cream.

Years ago had the same problem. We used ours to make wine.

Cider

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquita View Post
    I was giving a big basket of apples, and I am not sure of what should I make with them. I was thinking about making a couple of apple pies, but I would still have a whole bunch of apples left. Suggestions?
    Pardon me but I don't understand what you mean. You said that you are "giving" apples and you don't know what to do with the apples "left". I thought you are giving them away so why worry if there are some left?

Now if you are "getting" apples then you can do what the others have said. If there are still left then I guess you can just give them to someone else.

I think she meant, she was "given" a basket full. I personally would make some applesauce.

Pat, I have never made cider. Is it easy? Could you recommend a good website with instructions to make the cider. I am looking for a new project.