Thread: Declaw or No?

Declaw or No?

Do you declaw your cats or prefer to leave them intact?

It depends on the cat's personality for me. My current cat has all her claws because she doesn't destroy the furniture. She's accidentally left a few nasty marks on me though.

I have only had cats once in my life. I don`t understand declawing a cat. What if they just happen to get out of the house? They have no way to protect themselves. I know people don`t like the furniture clawed up but is it really necessary to declaw them? Isn`t there another way like getting them those pole to claw on?

I'm afraid that if I was worried about having my furniture scratched, I just wouldn't have a cat. I would not even contemplate removing portions of an animal's anatomy unless it was essential to the animal's health and well being.

I try posts first and they work sometimes. More worrisome than furniture is a vicious cat that claws people on purpose. I've had a good run of cats though, so I haven't had to declaw in a long time.

I do not declaw my cats. I have been told it is a very inhumane thing to do. In fact most of the vets around here will not even offer the surgery anymore.

I agree with all those that say that declawing an animal is inhumane. If you can't handle the damage that an animal may cause, you should not have that animal. I hate when I hear about cutting the ears and the tail from dogs. Who told people that animals needed plastic surgery. They certainly don't care.

I think it is really cruel to cut anything from an animal. If the life of the animal is not at risk, why really do it. I bet you wouldn't like anybody to declaw you just because you inadvertly scratch your husband when you touch him.

I am not against declawing. I didn't get my cat declawed at first because she wasn't clawing anything and my son quickly got attached to her. Here 4 years later I find myself with an infant and she got him in the face by accident. I am getting her declawed for the safety of my child, I don't want to get rid of her becuase she is a part of our family, but I can't have her scratching the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquita View Post
    I think it is really cruel to cut anything from an animal. If the life of the animal is not at risk, why really do it. I bet you wouldn't like anybody to declaw you just because you inadvertly scratch your husband when you touch him.
    I would never declaw a cat for inadvertently scratching someone. I would if that cat does it on purpose though! I love my cats, but people are more important.