Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying for Christmas

Paying for Christmas

Do you save up during the year or put it all on a credit card? How do you budget for Christmas? We decided a few years back that we weren't getting into debt so, if we don't have the money, we don't buy presents, simple as that!

I don't know why, but I have had several years of struggles, and always worse so around the holidays for some reason. It would actually be a nice change if I could give some decent gifts, but my children have never held it against me...

I do get in a little debt, but I make sure that it is in a place where I have deferred payment. I then make sure that I pay for it on time so I don't incur in fees. I have reduced my spending for gifts considerably.

I try to avoid debt at all costs. My daughter has six children and used to take a year to finish paying for Christmas. It has taken her a few years since the kids grew up and left to get herself back on track.

I avoid debt as much as I can, but this year I think I'm going to have to use my credit card. It's been a tough year.

I used to start buying around September and put stuff on layaway. But now only Kmart does layaway. And like everyone else we have been struggling for the past two years. I can`t even do layaway. We try to buy at least one gift for each kid. The grandkids we usually give about three gifts. We have 3 grandkids. They also love the gift cards for McDonald's. This year will be the credit card once again. I hate doing that but I have no choice.

I try to pay through the year. I watch for the good sales and deals, close out sales are great. Then what ever is left I charge to my credit card. Usually it is not too much so I don't worry about it very much.

Presants ain't what its about anyway. Its just hard to remember when you see all the advertising out there. The big time merchandizers have stolen the holiday. Relax,enjoy the hoiday, and remember the best gift you can give is your time.Wether its the time you spend now or the time you can spend later when your not out busting your but to pay of all the crap that you bought.

We don't make a big deal of it. The media makes you think you should make a big deal of it, but the materialism pushed by the hype never felt right to us.

I will never again go into debt (been there, done that, never again). If I can't pay it off by the time the credit card statement comes, I will not purchase it. It's just not worth it.