Thread: Cooking in Schools

Cooking in Schools

I was glad to see that my granddaughter who's in 1st grade had a time in school this week where they made cheese, and cranberry sauce which really amazed me, especially the cranberry sauce. Does this happen else where?

I haven't heard of it in any school in my town. What I have known for a while is that even in most high schools they don't teach the home economics classes any more. This is truly a shame because sometimes kids don't learn how to keep or manage a house because their parents haven't taught them. They sometimes don't have someone to give them a nutritious snack until their parents get home, and this could be remedied if they learn how to do it at school.

My kids had a day in kindergarten in which they made fruit skewers and a cheese sandwich. They were teaching them how to eat nutritiously. I am hoping the school have a few days in the year in which they teach the kids more about kitchen safety and eating right.

I have seen schools that will have some kind food preparation activity in preschool or kindergarten (usually trying to teach them that eating healthy can be fun) that involves simple foods like fruit or pumpkin seeds, but that is as far as it goes. It is typically a one time lesson too. Most kids will not see any kind of cooking lessons in school until they hit high school, but with all the budget cuts nowadays those classes are quickly disappearing. It is very sad because cooking can be such an art and there are many techniques and lingo to learn that can be difficult and frustrating to try to learn on your own.
    Nothing like good old fashioned home cookin .....