Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public e-school

Public e-school

Well, it is official. I am going to start e-schooling the kids again. I am pretty excited that they can get and official education from the safety of their own home. Schools here are just getting out of control with bullies.

Are schools are pretty bad too. I`ve never heard of E-Schooling. I wouldn`t have the patience to do it. I hope you well with it. How many kids do have and how old are they? Also do you have someone that tells you what to teach and what is required?

I wouldn't be able to do it either, but I understand how terrible most schools are turning out to be. Teachers are losing control of kids. Do you need to get a special permission from the board of education so it counts?

Yeah its getting bad, and just yesterday having that 15 year old holding his classmates and teacher hostage at that high school in Wisconsin, its hard to see it coming, they didn't even know that anything was up all day, and he was a well known and liked kid. I might have to look more into it, especially as they get into middle and high school.

This sounds like an interesting concept. There is quite a bit of research that says computer-based learning is quite effective. It would give your family flexibility with your time.

What is e-schooling as I have never heard of it?? My son is picking up a lot of bad things from school and it seems that the teacher doesn't even pay attention to the class letting my 5 year old cut his pants and ruin clothing with paint.

Good for you! I understand your concern about bullies and safety and hope your homeschooling is going well. Farmhand, e-schooling is taking all your classes online.

Sure wish they had something like this when I went to school. Bullying was bad then, and can only image it has gotten worse now. With the Internet, there is so much information readily available now. In some communities, families have joined together and divide up the lesson plans with different parents teaching different subjects. Much less daunting that way.

That sounds very interesting! I have heard of home schooling, but E-schooling sounds more appealing to me. My husband and I have debated about home schooling and public school for a while and one of the big reasons we decided against home schooling was because I did not want to stay home and teach. However, if the schools where we live ever get really bad, then I think e-schooling is the way to go. I can just have one of my in-laws or parents stay with the children during the day while they do their school work so that I can still work. It is nice to have a back-up plan!
    Nothing like good old fashioned home cookin .....

E-schooling is great. Every state has different laws regarding e-schools and not all e-schools are the same. They are public charter schools so you do not have to get special permision. They get grades from certified teachers and they could like any other education would. Since it is public school they can still get in to college and university. The only thing that is a bother right now is the military does not accept children who were e-schooled. The first e-school we tried I did not like. The lessons were planned out but I did all of the teaching and it was to much for me. Now they are in a fully electronic school. My guys are in 3rd grade. They have 3 teachers and they have online classes with teachers every day. They can have anywhere from 1-3 online classes. The lessons are already made out and all you have to do is follow them. They have assignments they must turn in too. They can print them, do them, scan them back in and turn in to drop boxes, or use screen shots. They use about 10 different teaching websites that the school pays membership to that they use for online lessons like Study Island and Envision math. Each of my children gets their own loaner computer, headset, and printer/scanner to use as long as they are enrolled. Since they have teachers do part of their work, and part of their work student driven online, that means that I only have to monitor that they do it, answer questions, and work with them one on one as needed. If I have a problem I can call the teacher or the helpdesk. If they get any bad grades (tests excluded) they can redo the assignment. They also get monitored time with other kids online. They sometimes work in small groups in the online class so students can socialize while doing work together. Soon they will be taking their state tests. The lessons and online classes have been working them towards that. I will have to take them to a special location close to home for them to take the actual test. While some e-schools are not so good, I am very happy with mine. This school is only available in our state but other states e-schools might have a set up like this.