Thread: Introducing a New Puppy to Older Dog

Introducing a New Puppy to Older Dog

We will be getting a new puppy this Christmas but knowing our current dog will go nuts as she is so easily excited and gets jealous so we're wondering how we can introduce the new puppy to her so they can get use to each other? She isn't one to fight with other dogs but will bark, jump, and even whine like crazy.
    Any suggestions?

Wow, this is going to be a very interesting Christmas in your house. I don't really know how you can do this. I wonder if Cesar "The dog Whisperer" has a web site with information.

Maybe you should start getting them used to each other a little a the time. First outside like in a doggie park and see what reaction they have.

One thing to consider doing is to introduce them for the first time on "neutral" territory. Otherwise, the natural thing for the older dog will be to defend her turf.

Quote Originally Posted by countrystepper View Post
    We will be getting a new puppy this Christmas but knowing our current dog will go nuts as she is so easily excited and gets jealous so we're wondering how we can introduce the new puppy to her so they can get use to each other? She isn't one to fight with other dogs but will bark, jump, and even whine like crazy.
    Any suggestions?
    Before I give suggestions I would be interested in knowing the age and breed of the 2 dogs.
    My experience is that the younger dog begins to abuse the older dog and the older dog tolerates it more than you would expect. But like people, dogs have thier limitations and will discipline the pup. This is something you need to but out of unless it becomes vicisous.
    You may want to feed the puppy in another room that the older dog does not have access to. The food bowl could be a problem but you never know. If it is, by the time you find out it could be a torn ear, vet bill or worse. Dogs can issue a cut in a matter of seconds and it will surprise you.
    The dogs should sort things out as long as there is little interference. If the older dog gets annoyed and barks or growls let it go. I think you'll find that you'll begin to symathize with the older dog as the younger one will not leave it alone. Most of the problems I have with doge stem from protection my dogs always get territorial with the yard and house, when strangers aproach each dog thinks it's in charge of security and doesn't want any help form the others. The dogs begin to bicker with each other over who gets to defend the perimeter if you will. They seldom fight over food as there is one bowl and they have figued out who and when they can eat with.
    I believe that 2 dogs is easier to have than one dog. If your going to get one you may as well get 2 as they keep each other occupied and out of trouble.

With my experiences with dogs, I think disciplined (by you) dogs usually behaved themselves when you command them to. I agree with Robert about feeding the puppy and the older dog with different bowl as the older dog will be aggressive with this. Most of my dogs play with a puppy when I get a new one.