Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many smokers in my house

Too many smokers in my house

We have seven people living here and four of us smoke. I want to quit so bad. But every time I try I fail. Does anyone know if those ashtrays that take the smoke away really work? I have tried candles but they scare me. I am deathly afraid of fire. So I was thinking of buying those ashtrays. Maybe if I can get the second hand smoke controlled I can finally quit.

We have a no smoking inside the house rule. While it is cold out the smokers of the house have to go outside. I have notice that they have been smoking less just because they do not want to stand outside.

From what I've seen, those ashtrays are made to sell, not to use.:laughing: I think you'll find the larger clean air machines work better; i.e., a fan with a filter. We kept a couple of them going in the house for several years with 2 of us smoking. I finally quit about 4.5 years ago and my wife quit a year later. When I quit, she quit smoking in the house and would go out in the breezeway or my shop building to smoke.

Yeah, the ashtray works very little even while the cigarette is on it but does nothing at all when the smoked is blown in the air; an air purifier will help some but you'll still smell it and when they go outside you still smell it on them but that's your best bet. Sometimes getting them to go outside can be hard if it's not your house.

I think you need to have a meeting and tell your family that you are serious about quitting. Healthwise, it is very important that you are in the same page. The smoking only outside is a great idea, but it is still tempting for you that have to go in and out of the house. They sell an air purifier that is ionizing and supposedly gets rid of everything. Also, you should check with your doctor to see if the patch will be a good idea for you since not everybody can go cold turkey.

I know of people who have participated in the Great American SmokeOut who have been quite successful. I think it is a national campaign to help people quit. The idea is for a group of people to decide to quit together at the same time so they can support one another.

I would agree with Chiquita that you need to hold a family meeting. Maybe you all could try to quit and make a rule as to no smoking in the house anymore. The air purifiers and such are the best option for inside smoking and could get pricey (but worth it).

I hope you are able to win your battle. There is absolutely no smoking in or around our home. Smokers know the rules and we are very strict with them. If someone can't not smoke for the hours they may be in our home, they just are not in our home, or around the children.

I really hope there are no children in this house of smoke. If there are, do you realize the health problems you're setting your children up for. Even if there are no children, four people smoking in one house? Have you washed your walls recently? When my wife and I moved into a house, we learned quickly that the previous residents were smokers. You should have seen the gunk we got off the walls.

If you can't quit, start going outside to smoke. You're going to burn your house down.

I have also heard that burning candles will take the smoke out of the air or something like that. Try the candles that are covered in glass or jar candles and let me recommend trying Chantix to help you quit it worked miracles for me and my husband.