Thread: Trucks

Trucks

I am interesting in finding out from the forum members what they think about the trucks out there in the market now a days. My father always bought Fords. Are they still all they were cracked up to be? What are the best trucks in the market at present time?

Best for what? What size 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton? Diesel or gas? Gonna park it in the drive way and wax it every weeend or work it to death.

I don't think there is much difference inthe 1/2 tons buy what you like.

3/4 and 1 ton diesels i vote for Ford. My ford F250 is the best truck i ever owened. It does 23 miles of dirt road every time I go to town and hauls a 12000lb traler 80 plus on the interstate. It is 4 years old and never had wrench turned on it.

My dad was the same way, always Fords and we've grown to be the same especially when it comes to trucks. It's my husbands truck so he works it to death but it's still great after 7 years.

I like the Fords too. I have 2 right now, both have performed well. I have many friends who like the GM products for the same reason I like the Ford. 2 friends of mine have the 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4 with the v8 that has gone 300000 miles. That really says a lot about that particular model year. If you need a bigger truck or you want a diesel, then you might want to do a little more homework. Forums like this one exist for just about every manufacturer. You can get info regarding recalls and service bulletins. This might give you some valuable insight about big problems stemming from poor engineering. If you are real particular about how your truck is equipped as I am Ford makes more sense. Ford wil make your truck just about any way you want it if your willing to wait. Try telling a Chevrolet dealer you want the towing real towing package but you don't want leather seats or a sun roof. He will just scratch his head and laugh. If you buy a Chevy you get thier truck not yours.
    I personally like to avoid a lot of unnecessary bell and whistles I really don't need. I buy a truck for the long term and reliability is important to me so the less stuff to go wrong the better. If you're the type to keep a truck for a short period, some of those fluffy items may make it easier to resell.
    I select a truck based on operating costs. Not just gas mileage but periphepheral maintenance as well. I don't need 4 wheel drive, so I'm not going to pay for it. The operating cost's with a diesel really go up, although a properly equipped truck is rated at 16000 lb towing capacity, the diesel option is over 7000.00$ I can't justify that expense when 99.9% of the driving I do is with no payload.
    There is a lot to consider when you stop and think the price of gas could be at 5$ a gallon next year, and a Dodge might be obsolete in the near future.

The Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument goes on, and on. Everyone seems to have a opinion. Define your task, then read the reviews and shoot-outs. Your prejudice will probably still win out!
    Steward of the Forest

The new gas engines are going to be hard to beat regardless of maker. I am a Ford V-10 fan but Ford has chosen to go with a new V-8 replacement. The new diesels all have either urea tanks or sootbags along with outrageous maintenance costs compaired to a gas rig. Unless you tow a whole bunch a gas rig is definately the way to go. As far as 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, the Ford version weighs almost 800 lbs. more due to their heavier built frames and cab materials. For that reason alone makes Ford the leader in mid-size trucks for me.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco

I have owned all four. I had ONE diesel. As I have determined with friends, it must have been a lemon, so I won't tell you who made it. With Ford, Chev, Dodge, and Toyota products all under my belt. I chose the one with the lowest maintenance cost in the my personal experience with my personal vehicles and andretti-esque driving style. I brought home a Toyota Tundra. With a travel trailer behind it, it out-pulled my diesel in the little hills between Springfield and Branson. The diesel is now long gone...

In the Chevrolets, in years past I've owned half-ton, three-quarter ton, one ton single rear wheel, and one ton dual rear wheels; all gasoline powered and all bought new.

For Dodge, I've only owned a three-quarter ton; gasoline powered and bought used.

For Ford, half-ton, three-quarter ton, and now a little Ranger; all gasoline powered and bought used.

They were all good trucks and served me well.

I've had mostly Fords most of my life, with a couple of 1/2 ton Dodge's in the late 80's to early 90's in there also. Never owned a GM product. My current truck is an '09 F350 V10 4x4 stick shift. I drive part time for a couple of RV dealers. Both dealers use F350 Fords, and one also has two nearly new Toyota Tundra's. The Fords have all given real good service (all are V10's), with one nearing 200K miles with everything original under the hood and in the running gear. Last week I had to go just outside NYC (from northern Vt) to pick up a 30 foot 5th wheel trailer at an auction yard. They sent me down there with one of the Tundra's (first time driving one of them). When I left, I had convinced myself I wasn't going to like it, but by the time I got back to the dealership, I had changed my mind. It went real well, had plenty of power, was quiet and comfortable. The only thing I really DIDN'T like was the mirrors. They put car type mirrors on their truck, and they are pretty much worthless for backing up or towing a trailer. I'm not ready to trade in my Ford, but I was impressed with this truck...